|Date of birth||1976|
Mirtru Escalona-Mijares was born in Venezuela in 1976. He studied with Rafael Saavedra and Gerardo Gerulewicz in his home country. José Manuel López-López and Paul Méfano invited him to continue his studies in Paris, where he has been living since 2000.
In France, he obtained a Master in New Music Technology and Composition at the CNSMD de Lyon with Robert Pascal, Michele Tadini, Denis Lorrain and staff members of the SONVS. He received Degrees in Composition from the Music School of Blanc-Mesnil with Philippe Leroux, from the National Conservatory of Strasbourg with Ivan Fedele, and a Degree in Electroacoustic Composition from the Music School of Pantin with Christine Groult.
He has attended the master classes of José Manuel López-López, Paul Méfano, Betsy Jolas, Sergio Ortega, Diogenes Rivas, Antonio Pileggi and Jacopo Baboni-Schilingi
He has received scholarships from the Fundación Gran Mariscal de Ayacucho and the Cultural Nacional Council (Venezuela), the Conseil Générale de Seine Saint-Denis and the Centre Acanthes (France).
Mirtru Escalona-Mijares has won several prizes in various countries ;
- Premio de Composition Aniversario de la Universidad Simón Bolívar (Caracas - Venezuela, 2010)
- 1st Prize of the Kuhmo International Composition Competition (Kuhmo – Finland, 2009)
- 1st Prize of the 26th International Composition Competition (Turin – Italy, 2008)
- 1st Prize of the 5th Sun River Composition Competition (Chengdu – China, 2008)
- Premio Municipal de Musica Sinfónica Breve 2007 (Caracas –Venezuela)
- Earplay Donald Aird Memorial Prize (San Francisco – USA, 2006)
- Prize of the completion of studies by the SACEM (Paris – France, 2003)
- 2nd Prize of the 2nd Composition Competition Xicöalt-Aspekte (Salzbourg – Austria, 2005)
- Honorable mention of the Milan Conservatory Composition Competition (Milan – Italy, 2009)
- Honorable mention of the Premio Municipal de Música de Cámara 2007 (Caracas-Venezuela)
- Finalist of the International Music Prize for Excellence in Composition 2009 (Thessaloniki – Greece)
- Finalist of the 6th GRAME International Composition Competition (Lyon – France, 2008)
- Finalist of the Sounds Electric '07 Electroacoustic Music Competition (Dublin –Ireland)
- Finalist of the Concurso de Composición XXV aniversario de la OSMC (Caracas –Venezuela, 2005)
His works are regularly performed in several festivals in Europe, the USA and in Latin America. He has collaborated with ensembles and perfomers like ; Trio Pantine, Ensemble Accroche Note, Ensemble Proxima Centauri, Ensemble l’Itinéraire, Ensemble C Barre, Earplay New Chamber Music, Ensemble Linea, Cédric Jullion, Julie Moulin, Mario Caroli, Stacey Pelinka, Karina Fischer, Linda Wetherill, Geneviève Déraspe, Charlotte Testu, Joel Novoa, Cyprien Busolini, Alexander Bruck, Pierre Quenehen, Iván Solano, Dominica Eyckmans, Sébastien Boin, David Nuñez, Jérémie Maillard, Guilherme Carvalho, Marianella Arocha, Jorge Dayoub, Vitier Vivas, María León-Petit, Clément Canonne, Julien Martineau among others.
He is a member of the Latin American Network for the Sonic Arts (REDASLA) and the Venezuelan Society for Contemporary Music (SVMC).