|Occupation||Composer, Performer, Teacher|
Apostolos Darlas was born in Athens in 1972. He studied at the Greek National Conservatory (piano, harmony, counterpoint, and fugue diplomas) and also conducting with Pr.Theodore Antoniou. He received the composition diploma studying under Professor Theodore Antoniou, with the highest distinction (also awarded with the Golden Medal). He has also graduated from the Athens Technical University but never activated this skill. He has participated in the Oxford Philomusica piano master class (2000) with O.Yabloskaya, R.Tureck, Ch.Ortiz, as well. Works of Apostolos Darlas have been performed in Greece, Germany, England, Poland, Holland, and the USA. Professionally, he has worked as assistant conductor in J.Adams’ opera Nixon in China a co-production of English National Opera, Athens Megaron and Greek National Opera. He gives recitals as a pianist, including participations in classic and contemporary music ensembles.
He has also been awarded for several of his works:
• Epallilon op.17, for six musicians, (workshops Athens Megaron 2002)
• Morfomata-Four reactions to an extraordinary environment op.28D , for mezzo soprano and orchestra based on poems of the Alexandrian poet K.P.Kavafis (Days of Contemporary Music, Patra’s International Festival 2003)
• Epikasti op.70, (workshops Thessaloniki Megaron 2006)
• Walls op.28D/4 for mezzo-soprano and orchestra, based on poems of the Alexandrian poet K.P.Kavafis (1st Prize, 1st European Literary Marathon 2007)
• Tyro op.66 for soprano, clarinet and piano (1st Prize Greek Composers Union Composition Competition in memory of J.A.Papaioannou 2007)
• Phaedra op.79 B for mezzo-soprano and orchestra (3rd prize, Dimitris Mitropoulos International Composition Competition 2007)
• Theodmatoi Pylai op.84 for six musicians (3rd Prize Greek Composers Union Composition Competition in memory of D.Dragatakis 2010)
• Exhortation op.29 B for electric violin and recorded material (Visions/Universal. K.Anastasopoulos violin)
• Elpinor II op.63 B for flute and harp (Dialogues/Puzzlemusic. Duo Choriambus)
• Nostimon Imar op.43 A for Orchestra. Greek Radio Television Symphony Orchestra, conducted by V.Symeonidis
Moreover his catalogue of works contains more than a hundred works of several combinations of instruments: solo, works with instruments and pre-recorded material, chamber and vocal music, concertos, cantatas, works for orchestra and others. His works are published by Phillipos Nakas Editions Music House. He is currently working as a piano teacher at the Music School of Piraeus, and also a member of the Greek Composers’ Union.